The Old Testament Reading set for today comes from Exodus 20 – it is here that we are told about the ten commandments.
1. You shall not have any other gods but me.
2. You shall not make any graven image or worship any idol
3. You shall not misuse the name of God for evil purposes
4. Remember to keep the Sabbath day as a holy day.
5. Honour your father and mother.
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not tell lies.
10. You shall not want or desire other people’s things. (covert)
Some people do not like these as they seem like rules – do not do this or do not do that etc. but later Jesus summed up the Law of God in two commandments. (Matthew 22:37)
1.’Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind.
2. Love your neighbour as yourself.
If you look closely you can see that Jesus is right – if we truly love God and truly love our neighbour then we are keeping the ten commandments. As we continue our journey through Lent, ask yourself each day, ‘What can I do today to show that I love God and I love my neighbour.’